Shared moments


My only son is 8 years old and, in some ways, the spitting image of his father - figuratively speaking. Among other things he shares my joy of literature. This past winter and spring have seen us enjoying many a moment where the two of us have been delving into some of the vintage classics: 'Robinson Crusoe', 'Tom Brown's schooldays' etc.

It's not that I prefer old books to new ones, but I definitely prefer the moments we share enjoying a good story to almost any other possible activity we could pursue. Reading (aloud) allows for closeness, physical as well as spiritual, and during the daily 15-20 minutes we expose ourselves to the magic of words, the bond between us grow ever stronger. That is what I both sense and believe to be true.

I treasure the time I can spend in the sole company of my son, because each moment is also an investment in our future together. If we learn to unearth the treasure chests of mutual joys now, what is there to stop us from doing so for as long as we both may live?

I cannot and will not miss a single opportunity to walk down the roads of narrative with him, because so much beauty, so much deep emotion, and so much greatness dwells there. Come on. Pick up a book and share it with your child. You will not regret it.

Kommentarer

Populære innlegg