The Spirit of Christmas


For weeks now our mailbox has been assaulted by overzealous mailmen, red-clad people on their daily circuits delivering heaps of glossy catalogues spreading the good news of pre-Christmas consumption.

I have just about had it already. Yes, I do leaf through the pages featuring smiling, good-looking kids or the latest fab toy that you obviously must not refrain from buying; that is, if you want to be a good, modern parent with a view to pleasing your kids at every turn. And I must concede that these aggressive campaigners of material happiness do have a point: computer games and other toys can be fun. That's why I buy them for my children every now and then, as few things are as rewarding as seeing the sullen expression on your child's face being swept away by a powerful grin when daddy comes home with an unexpected gift.

But somehow this downpour of printed catalogues has a reverse effect on my mood - in the long run. I cannot stomach any more of them. Now I have taken to dumping them into the litter bin as soon as the kids have satisfied their curiosity. No, I havent turned into an anti-consumption warrior bent on the catalogue kill, but I am c0ncerned that my young ones may be affected by the possible adverse effects of VIO, visual information overload. Their lists of toys they cannot do without are growing ominously long.

Symbols of affection

Granted, Christmas is a fantastic opportunity to express to friends and family that we appreciate their presence, and what better way of expresssing just that sentiment than through a suitable symbol of affection: a CD, a toy or a book. Great. I'm all for it - up to a point. But I'm a staunch defender of the belief that joy, both during Christmas as well as through the year, is brought on by other factors as well.

And the chief among those factors, is the real Spirit of Christmas; the one Spirit that brings us closer to God, and, if we're sound in hearts and minds, closer to each other as well. Oh, I do love our Christmas food and drink, believe me. but nothing can eclipse the very special sensation induced by young and old voices in unison, cranking up the volume a notch or two, giving it our best when singing those decidedly less-than-modern carols again and again. "Oh, Holy Night."

I love God in spring, summer, autumn and winter, but even as a grown-up, the Spirit of Christmas continues to bring the incredible gift of this Holy of children more sharply into focus on Christmas Eve. As it should be.

(Hey! I'm looking forward to whatever I'll be getting this year, even if it means new underwear)

Kommentarer

Populære innlegg