Showing some talent


With the Eurovision Song Contest unfolding as I write, it's just appropriate that I devote some attention to the undeniable fact that there are so unbelieveably many talented people around.

When our Maker designed humankind in his own image, that meant, among other things, that our individual skills and talents somehow were intended to showcase the mind-blowing variety, splendour and majesty of his own personality. Whatever compartment, or category, human art forms can be subdivided into, they surely do at times remind us that if God is the ultimate source behind all of this (and he is), he cannot be the sourpuss, the narrow-minded old grumpy whitebeard bent on getting back at us for whatever wrong we may have committed. People sometimes portray God like that. And it only demonstrates that they do not know him at all.

God is the Chief Artisan of all ages, and he is generous enough to distribute not just a tiny fraction of his own incredible arsenal of talents to us. But this liberality on God's part is part of a grander plan yet: if you and I have got a talent, and I believe we all have, it's to be used to bring attention and fame to the One who gave it in the first place.

My talent is not my own. That is why I must share it with the people I interrelate with. That is why I will devote it to the glory of God. And that is why I will continue enjoying, worshipfully, any and every sample of God-given talent, be it in the form of a finished painting, a world number one hit song, or a plot that is masterfully crafted by an author of fiction.

And for you to know what I am talking about, here is one of my favourite singers, Bryan Duncan, formerly of the Sweet Comfort Band, now a solo artist as well as lead singer with the Nehosoul Band.

Kommentarer

Populære innlegg