London revisited


My first encounter with London was in 1987. The second chance to savour the sights, sounds and smells of this British capitol occurred in 2000. Nine years down the road there will be another opportunity to walk the streets and view the attractions of a city so steeped in history.

Because I'm travelling together with four colleagues of mine as well as 59 students, it's obvious that I'm not at liberty to roam whenever I feel inclined to. I'm in a very real sense there to shepherd the sheep, this contrasting and motley band of teens ready to unleash their curiosity on unsuspecting londoners. Some have been there before, I gather, since travelling the world is not longer a privilege shared by adults only. Quite a number of my students have probably even seen larger patches of this world than I have.

I cannot divulge too much of our itinerary. There will not be enough time to go beyond the staple diet of a tourist, so, yes, we will drop by Madame Tussaud, and, yes again, we will drag our sore feet towards West End and one of many musicals worth breaking budgetary discipline for. I almost forgot: I'm skipping the obligatory musical this time. Why? I love live world-class performances, but I just don't fancy emptying my wallet for 'Mama Mia' or whatever it'll be.

The only drawback as far as travelling is concerned, is the fact that I have to leave my family behind. We haven't had too much quality time together lately. Hopefully our grand tour of the US will make up for that. Because I'm really starving for another bite of laid-back, 'lazy', lingering days of sun and socializing with my bosom friend.

But now I'm set for London. It's off to much work and some pleasure, I suspect.


Kommentarer

Populære innlegg