Cinematic joys


I love watching films. I am particularly fond of some of the more recent output from Chinese, French, German and other Non-Hollywood filmmakers. It's certainly worth the while when a director gets a story across so compellingly that your life is more than slightly, imperceptibly changed from viewing the cinematic wonders on screen.

No, I won't turn down a decent comedy if the actors are e.g. world-class, and I'm not adverse to any type of action film. But I easily lose interest in feature films in particular if the staple feature of a car chase reappears in too many scenes, or if the director's perception of excellent entertainment entails frequent close-ups of smashed skulls or the repeated use of each and every imaginable four-letter word.

This infatuation of mine has lead to a small but cherished collection of DVDs and VHs stored on the top floor of our house. I expect to go on purchasing both old and new films in the future, just to pamper my devotion to excellent story-telling.

THE QUALITIES OF A WINNER

I really have not worked out a convincing definition of what 'classy' films should contain, but I've discovered an unmistakable affinity for films that are rooted in historic events, or that convey stories that challenge me to reevaluate my priorities or plans. I am also very much intrigued by and drawn towards films that portray cultures or time periods that are markedly different from that of my native Norwegian, contemporary experience.

Having also been brought up in the slightly matured edition of the modern welfare state, being entitled to all kinds of rights and social security benefits, I occasionally deep-dive into the cinematic reflections of past injustices and atrocities simply to remind myself of all that I can be grateful for. Consequently, war films are particular favourites of mine. No, not the black-and-white stereotype-ridden narratives being played out in American post-war classics, but such eminent German productions as Der Untergang (about Hitler's last days in power) or The last days of Sophie Scholl (about an icon of the miniscule resistance movement).

A LIST OF GEMS YOU SHOULD NOT MISS

I could go on forever reminescing about such unforgettable cinematic joys as the Chinese gem The way home (a love story from the time of the Cultural revolution), but instead I will proceed to present you with an impromptu list of ten films you should see and buy (preferably both) before bad eyesight gets the better of your waking hours. Here we go:

1. The Dictator, featuring Charles Chaplin lampooning the absourdities of herr Hitler
2. Amazing grace, about the English reformer and abolitionist William Wilberforce
3. The Pianist, concerning the Jewish war-time, Warszaw-born pianist Spilman
4. Lord of the Rings, revealing J.R.R. Tolkien's fascinating universe of fable
5. The last Emperor, about the life of Pu Yi, China's very last emperor
6. The way home, it just blows you away
7. Jean de Florette, French masterpiece
8. Asterix and Cleopatra, which surprisingly enough is a very funny film made in France
9. Burnt by the sun, a Russian stroke of genius covering the fate of a Russian revolutionary hero
10.Metropolis, breathtaking oldie but goodie

Kommentarer

Populære innlegg