Off to Egypt - soon

Without even having been there, still I feel like I can boast a reasonable level of knowledge about Egypt, the country my colleagues and I will be heading for in a couple of days. Through countless books and a number of films I've garnered nuggets of information about a civilization that has few peers in world history. Obviously, Egypt of today bears little resemblance to the superpower that once daunted its neighbouring countries, striking terror into king's hearts.

But despite the vanished glory of yesterday, Egypt still hasn't lost its appeal. That's why this blogger is, at long last, beginning to really looking forward to visiting a country, and a continent, that will present images, sounds and smells totally foreign to me - as yet.

The pharaos will lie there, immobilized inside their glass coffins, but on the streets of Kairo life promises to be both teeming and seething. I don't think I'll ever forget it, and I'd better grab the opportunity: Kairo is too far away for me and my family to become regular visitors.

Please prepare for quite a number of postings about 'The Egyptian Experience'. Wish me all the best.

Kommentarer

Populære innlegg