Lord of the rings...again?!


It's the fourth time I'll be reading the books, immersing myself in the strange, fictional universe of hobbits, elves, uruk-hai, wizards and the like. If you think me a complete LOTR addict, then please note that Christopher Lee, the actor playing Saruman in the LOTR film trilogy, has read the books once a year, every year!

Since when, you ask? Since the books first were published in the 1950s. Now, that's what I call a proper LOTR addict. Compared to that kind of devotion, my own fascination with Tolkien pales significantly.

Still I'm not shy about my post-adolescent ventures into worlds of fiction that some critics nowadays view as hopelessly dated, out of style, out of fashion. J. R. R. Tolkien didn't write in the fast-flowing, cinematically adaption-friendly way that modern masters of the fantasy genre adhere to. At times he teases his readers with tedious, overly prolonged passages about weather et cetera, as if the major point in each of the books is for the reader to grasp the atmospheric systems of Middle-Earth.

So why be at it again? Simply because LOTR presents such a compelling, powerful narrative about near anti-heroes, Frodo and Sam and the rest, who inextricably are drawn into a cycle of events that require a firm response from them. When faced with fear and a direct challenge to leave their world of comforts behind, what will they do?

Yes, it's fantasy alright. It never happened. I know that, too. But I also know that the world of Hobbiton, that magical world of pristine innocence, is in some ways too similar to our own world to be treated condescendingly as time-consuming escapism. LOTR has lessons to teach us: lessons about bravery delivered in spite of an inner enemy called phobia, fear.

LOTR is a story of a kind of heroism that we can emulate in our own lives, although we may not face tyrants like Sauron, or mystery objects like the One ring that has the power to cower people into abject submission.

And if you don't buy what I've just written; may we then perhaps agree that LOTR still pulls like a magnet. It's a story that sits well with those of us too wise to leave our childhood dreams behind - for good.

Kommentarer

  1. I applaud you on this discussion of The Lord of the Rings. You have captured much of the essence of this masterpiece.

    I first read the trilogy when I was in my first year of college, and just as the One Ring drew its wearers, the books entice me to open them from time to time. Not as often as Mr. Lee, but fairly often. I don't really know how many times I have read them. It's true that Tolkien didn't write in the fashion that is recommended today, but it seems to me that the truly great authors are always exceptional in being exceptions to the rule. The world of hobbits and ents is so deliciously rich that I always find new spots to linger and enjoy the tale.

    SvarSlett

Legg inn en kommentar

Populære innlegg