Will it be John or Barack?



Since I'm not an American citizen, I am barred from taking part in the upcoming presidential election on November 4. Which is just as well, since I really don't know which one of the candidates I would eventually decide to put my trust in.



Because trust is the crux of the matter here, since neither of the candidates have any previous experience in how to rule the USA, and, by extension (the US being the world's only superpower), the world.

To me Obama has superior eloquence, but when it comes to substance, it remains very unclear what the man really is planning to achieve. His main campaign slogan is CHANGE, which of course appeals to lower and middle income home owners as everybody will want to experience change once your private economy has slumped, and you don't know if you can pay back your mortgage (and the other candidate owns ...ahem...seven mansions).

So what does this vague and elusive Obama program of CHANGE entail? I really would like to know, but as with everybody else my curiosity cannot be satisified until Mr. Obama has served long enough for the effects of his adopted policies to become apparent. So, basically it's all about trust. And I guess I don't trust Mr. Obama's rhetoric enough to really want him to succeed George W. Bush.

John McCain is my pick, then? No, sir. John has chosen Sarah Palin, a firm believer in Jesus, to be his running mate. Now, that should calm my nerves, shouldn't it? Because, after all, being a believer must mean you're capable of running the show if the elected president should pass away? Most dedidedly not.

Having a Christian president will do your country no good if the person in question really isn't competent at all at governing a superpower. It takes more than orthodox beliefs to be the Chief of this Global Village. She may prove me wrong, but I'm suspicious of anyone just about my own age declaring they're ready to be president of the USA.

Er...McCains qualities. I forgot to discuss them. He's a former POW (prisoner of war) and a seasoned senator with a fiery temperament. He wants to punish Russians, Iranians, Bolivians etc. if they don't behave well enough. Well, maybe we could do without trigger-happy American politicians for a while?

Ok! I'm impossible to please. Neither candidate passes the test. How fitting, then, that I'm Norwegian and have no say whatever in who should be the next American president.

Kommentarer

  1. I am a citizen and strongly believe that we have a responsibility to vote, not just a right. However, I am not really happy with the choices for President, either. You are right: the issue is trust, but it is hard to feel either one is trustworthy.

    SvarSlett

Legg inn en kommentar

Populære innlegg