A musical interlude: The secret life of...


It's funny how the Internet can bring old favourites to life! Years ago, as I was fast becoming a teen, I got my hands on a musical stroke of genius that was, sadly, underrated by many so-called experts at the time, a double album by one of my all-time favourites.

Stevland Morris, aka Stevie Wonder, was at his peak of creativity in the late 70s, pouring out world-class tunes, evincing no sign of ever losing his artistic prowess. Then. almost out of nowhere, he was commissioned to write the music to a documentary titled 'The secret life of plants'. I've never seen this film, and I may never ever bother to look for it in stores, but I will in the weeks to come continue to listen to the many gems found on '(Journey through) The secret life of plants'.

To some people the title is likely to raise objections: is it really worthwhile to listen to music that, seemingly, espouses a worldview at least partly influenced by Hinduistic thought? Mr. Wonder was certainly no committed Christian at the time, and, yes, some of the lyrics ('How I wish that I would come back as a flower'!) does seem to be at loggerheads with orthodox (meaning traditionally held) Biblical tenets on human existence.

But, and this really blesses me, the truth - as I perceive it - is that any music of lasting beauty testifies to the Creator who originated the human ability to create, and so even 'The secret life of plants' can be edifying, and release the desire to worship - not Mr. Wonder, but the Genius behind all there is to truly love and adore.



Kommentarer

Populære innlegg