The wonderful art of 'fika'


Of all the wonderful little things in life, the art of 'fika' stands out from among the throng of possible options. So what exactly is this art?

The word itself is Swedish, but the art is practised by students in Shanghai, grandmothers in Seattle, and professionals in Stockholm; or, indeed, in any other metropolitan or rural area. Where there is more than one inhabitant, the art of 'fika' is repeatedly enjoyed - mesmerizing the palate and bonding the people.

It's all in a masterful cup of coffee, an enticing roll of e.g. Danish pastry, and in the often despised everyday small-talk: the exchange of bits of private news that are never intended for the front pages. The art of 'fika' can elevate the mundanest of Mondays into a day to be savoured by the mind for a long, long time.

I'm an addict. I have been almost all my grown-up life. And even if above-average cafes are hard to come by in my adopted hometown of Bergen, there are a few places where I love to take a plunge into an irresistible slice of whatever cake that may tickle my fancy.

I'm not a hedonist, but I will never willingly disregard an opportunity to join other devotees to this art of 'fika'. Enjoy.

Kommentarer

  1. It's true that many of us disdain 'small talk,' yet it really does serve an important part in our lives. I had never heard the term 'fika' before, but it's nice to know there is such a term. I'd say it's close to what many Christians in the United States refer to as 'fellowship' sometimes. Hedonism isn't what it's all about, although food is involved. The sweetest part isn't the cake, but the building of relationships.

    By the way, I thank you for leading me here from your Shoutlife page. I've bookmarked your blog.

    SvarSlett

Legg inn en kommentar

Populære innlegg