Off to Riga


My father's parents hardly ever left their hometown. Life brought them to Denmark once or twice, but even though they both lived well into their eighties, none of them saw much of the world. And thus their only chance of getting to know the globe, was through their television set.




IT ALL BEGAN IN 1987

To be honest, I'm not that much of a backpacker or globetrotter myself. My first time ever abroad (excluding a couple of holidays in neighbouring Sweden) was 1987, when me and a friend went interrailing through northwestern Europe. Those wonderful three weeks brough us in close contact with the lush, scenic landscapes of Kent, England, as well as with the undulating hills and valleys of Wales. And I cannot reglect the opportunity to mention that our trip to parts of the UK was preceded and followed by short spells in Holland. Oh, yes, we did pass through Germany and Belgium, but apart from that I could boast very little experience with foreign cultures.

Twentytwo years down the road I have become slightly more familiar with the privilege of travelling. My wife and I spent our honeymoon in China in 1997. And together with colleagues of mine from work, I have seen the orderliness and architectural extravaganza of Vienna, Austria, and the chaos, dilapidation and titillating past glories of Cairo, Egypt.

MY FATHER'S WORLD

What has this brought me? Beyond the obvious fact that I have come to see more of my Father's world, these relatively few trips abroad have allowed me a glimpse into the incredible variety of ways in which humans live out their ideas of what matters in life. But I have also learned not to place my own culture above any other. I don't know if at any point in time I have subscribed to the fallacy that we're better simply by being richer. We are by and large excessivelly well-to-do because of our oil and not chiefly because our ideas and traditions are inherently superior to those of other nations.

In a few days I'll go somewhere I haven't been before. There'll bee another 'first' for me as my feet will walk the pavements of Riga, the capitol of Latvia. Once just another minion republic in the vast empire of Soviet communism, Latvia has lived through a rapid rise in terms of inceased household income, but has lately been hit hard by the global financial crisis. So as I go, I will go with a prayer and an open heart for God to bless some people through me: just another ordinary tourist doing his touristy things.

Kommentarer

Populære innlegg