The beautiful world of Huawei

My children can hardly believe it when I tell them how - in the 'old days' - we got on pretty well without cell phones, mp3 players or even pcs. On one level, at least, the world is rapidly progressing. Or is it?


Only days ago I got my brand new Huawei U9000 via mail. It's presently perched on top of the table to my left, only a few inches away from my pc. This semi-converted gadget guy that I've become simply couldn't resist the temptation when, on my birthday, I suddenly remembered that a long-time acquaintance from Volda had flashed his Huawei toy when visiting, prompting me to rethink the qualities of my then plaything Samsung Spica Galaxy. It wasn't a case of hard sell. I completely succumbed to vanity, ordering the cell phone after a brief and hurried on-line Internet scan.


So now I'm the proud owner of an Android with far more speed and memory than my previous phone. And I've aldready become convinced of its superior performance compared to its predecessor (one year old). Progress, then? In one sense of the word, certainly. But I doubt it'll make my life any better apart from opening up for me even wider the wonderful world of all manner of apps.


1975: Not even a typing machine


It's easy to forget, though, that as kids we had access to none of the gadgets that my progeny nowadays will go to almost any length to get their hands on. As a ten-year old I knew neither of personal computers, the VHS format films, music recorded on CDs, digital cameras or the variegated wonder of small hand-held devices containing entire libraries. We didn't even own a typing machine. On work, my father often made recourse to the telex to stay in touch with out-of-country customers. Who knows about telexes these days?


Do I miss the old days? No, because there's much in new technologies that makes communication much easier and worlds more fun. Sharing things e.g. has taken on an entirely new dimension altogether in that I can travel to the other side of the world and still retain the sensation that I'm not really far away at all. Because in sending multiple snapshots via my cellphone to friends at home, I can feed them with images and information allowing for much-coveted contact both in their absence as well as in their presence. It probably doesn't automatically deepen our sense of belonging and bonding, but it's great anyway just learning of what a dear friend is doing. As simple as that.


2011: welcome to my new....toy?


I may not grow wiser because of the apps that inhabit my cellphone, but to a varying degree they all seem to contribute to e.g. fulfilling my real or imagined needs as a teacher of staying updated on the state of affairs out there - in my town, im my country, in my world. Or am I just trying to justify the purchase of a new toy? Well,..........awkward rhetorical question, that one.


My next big challenge, all the same, is avoiding immersing myself in what my new cell has to offer to the point where those around me are cut off from any meaningful contact. Because whatever the boon of owning a Huawei U9000 may be, it cannot replace the continual practice of conversation skills in close proximity to those that I profess to love.



















Kommentarer

Populære innlegg